Experience Our Friendly & Knowledgeable Services
We've Got Extra Storage Space You Need!!!
Extra Storage offer a convenient means to store business records, however, keeping these documentations safe involves diligence. Long-term storage of confidential data such as protected health information or audit compliance documents needs to be included in a risk prevention plan for your business. As you assess self-storage facilities for security services and features, look into the following guidelines:
Security Aspects at Extra Storage
- Verify what hours you will gain access to the storage unit – or consult with your facility manager about establishing specific hours pertaining to your access
- Gated digital keypad access systems track traffic in and out
- Perimeter fencing should surround the entire facility - check it for condition
- Security camera range and the number of security cameras varies between facilities, as does the use of Digital Video Recorders instead of videotape
- Proper lighting should be maintained throughout the facility, and all areas should be illuminated well
- Even though facilities’ insurance policies cover property stored in units (with the exception of vehicles), you will be expected to provide proof of insurance as well. Many storage facilities also offer this service.
- Climate control (available at some facilities) is important for loss prevention; central air and heat maintain a temperature between 50 and 80 degrees, protecting paper and media against damage from extreme temperatures and humidity.
- Offices are alarmed and secured
- The facility manager will be able to provide history of environmental or theft losses, and may have rapport with the neighborhood and local police
- Extra Storage has on-site manager(s) for additional oversight
Ideal Packing of Documentation and Data
- Create multiple backups of all stored documents and store them in a separate location
- Consider storing all documentation on password-protected CD or DVD; anti-static packaging for videotapes, DVDs and CDs is recommended to prevent data loss
- Consider using locked containers such as file cabinets or fire safes
- Use airtight packaging to prevent mildew or water damage
- Use racking systems or pallets to keep boxes off floor and organized
- Cover boxes with a tarp
- Fill boxes, even if just with packing material – loosely packed materials can shift during transport and lifting; do not use newspaper, as the print can transfer
- Packed boxes should weigh no more than 30-50 lbs. for safe lifting
- Pack for longer than you plan to store – just in case
- When packing files, place binders in between groupings to lend sturdiness
- Pile boxes with oldest information at the bottom in the back
- Label boxes clearly and carefully with waterproof labels / markers
Extra Storage work with both local clients and national accounts, and are available to verify and document security features. They can be useful assets in establishing risk management plans regarding self storage.
Learn More About Extra Storage!!
Extra Storage units are designed with the security of your belongings, your budget and convenience in mind. For all your personal and commercial storage needs, please call the Extra Storage professional team at 619-427-2122 or email us email@example.com